Mercy Medical Center – New Hampton offers in-depth diabetes education. We help people with diabetes learn how to take care of themselves and reduce their risk of developing complications.
The Mercy Health Network - North Iowa diabetes education program, including Mercy – New Hampton, is recognized for its quality by the State of Iowa and by the American Diabetes Association. The ADA's Recognition Certificate assures that the educational programs meet the national standards for diabetes self-management. Our Registered Dietitians and Registered Nurses are Certified Diabetes Educators who specialize in diabetes education. We provide group and one-on-one instruction. Our staff works with each individual and their physician to develop a self-care plan that meets their needs.
Taking care of yourself is an important part of staying healthy when you have diabetes. We can help you understand diabetes and how it affects your body. Diet, exercise and medication all impact your blood sugar. Learning more about a healthy diet, exercise and your medication can help you to control blood sugar.
We offer education on the following topics:
- How diet, exercise and medication affect your blood sugar
- Healthy eating guidelines for people with diabetes
- How to take your medication for best results
- How to check your blood sugar
- What diabetes is and how it affects your body
- How to prevent diabetic complications
- How to take care of yourself when you are sick
- The causes of high blood sugar and how to take care of it
- The causes of low blood sugar and how to take care of it
- Care of your feet
- The effect of stress on your blood sugar
- Available community resources
- How to use insulin
- Planning for a pregnancy and having a healthy pregnancy
Diabetes Education Classes are set up based on referrals from healthcare providers. Schedules are set to meet the participants’ needs. Please call our Diabetes Educator at 641-394-1668 or 641-394-1636 for more information.
Diabetes Health Risk Assessment
Diabetes – General Overview
Type 2 Diabetes Care Guide
Type 1 Diabetes Care Guide